Dinosaurs - Stages 4-6 Teacher Notes
Information for teachers preparing their students for a self-guided exploration of the Dinosaurs exhibition at the Australian Museum.
Student in the Dinosaur Life section of Dinosaurs
Photographer: Stuart Humphreys © Australian Museum
Before Your Visit
- Excursion essentials - booking, free teacher's pass, lunch and practical tips.
To make the most of your visit to the exhibition we strongly recommend that you spend time in class preparing your students by:
- establishing what they know about dinosaurs
- providing an outline of the exhibition
- developing questions they may like to explore
- encouraging your students to gather news items about dinosaurs.
At the Australian Museum
The self-guided activity for secondary students guides students through the exhibition and will enhance their experience.
The key theme addressed in this exhibition is how dinosaurs lived and died and how we know. Fossils, comparisons with modern animals and new technology are used to understand dinosaur behaviour.
The Dinosaurs exhibition is divided into four main thematic areas:
- Dinosaur World
- Dinosaur Life
- Discovering Dinosaurs
- Surviving Dinosaurs.
See the Dinosaurs Exhibition Guide to:
- find background information on dinosaurs
- find an overview of the exhibition
- assist you to interpret the exhibition for your students
- suggest some questions you may like to explore.
Don't forget to bring a camera.
The Dinosaurs exhibition links to the following New South Wales Board of Studies syllabus documents.
Science Years 7-10
- 4/5.2 the nature and practice of science
- 4/5.4 the implications of science for society and the environment
- 4/5.5 current issues, research and developments in science
- 4.8.2 classification
- 5.8.3 the theory of evolution and natural selection
- 4.9.4 the atmosphere
- 5.9.4 natural events
Biology Stage 6
- 8.3 Patterns in nature
- 8.4 Life on earth
- 8.5 Evolution of Australian biota
Earth and Environmental Science Stage 6
- 9.2 Maintaining a balance
- 9.3 Blueprint of life
- 8.2 Planet earth and its environment - a five thousand million year journey
- 8.3 The local environment
- 9.3 Environments through time