Animal Species:Common Redmouth Whalefish, Rondeletia loricata Abe & Hotta, 1963
The Common Redmouth Whalefish has a flabby scaleless body. The inside of the mouth and gill cavities are coloured red-orange.
Common Redmouth Whalefish, Rondeletia loricata
Photographer: Mark McGrouther © NORFANZ Founding Parties
Standard Common Name
Common Redmouth Whalefish
The Common Redmouth Whalefish has a flabby scaleless body with a large head with small eyes. The lateral line is made up of a series of vertical rows of papillae. In life it is orange-brown. The inside of the mouth and gill cavities are red-orange.
The species grows to about 11 cm in length.
In Australia it is known from scattered localities around the country, including off New South Wales, the Great Australian Bight, central Western Australia and possibly northern Queensland.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Kotlyar, A.N. 1996. The osteology, intraspecific structure, and distribution of Rondeletia loricata (Rondeletiidae). Journal of Ichthyology. 36(3): 207-221.
- Paxton, J.R. 2008. Family Rondeletiidae. In M.F. Gomon, D.J. Bray & R. Kuiter (eds), Fishes of Australia’s South Coast. Sydney: New Holland. Pp. 413. (included a colour photo)
- Paxton, J.R., Hoese, D.F., Allen G.R. & J.E. Hanley. 1989. Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Vol.7. Pisces Petromyzontidae to Carangidae. Canberra: Australian Biological Resources Survey. Pp. i-xii, 1-665.
- Paxton, J.R., G.D. Johnson & T. Trnski. 2001. Larvae and juveniles of the deepsea ‘whalefishes’ Barbourisia and Rondeletia (Stephanoberyciformes: Barbourisiidae, Rondeletiidae) with comments on family relationships. Records of the Australian Museum, 53(3): 407-425.
- Paxton, J.R. & T. Trnski. 2003. Families Rondeletiidae. In K. Carpenter (ed.), The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Atlantic. Rome: FAO and American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. Vol. 2: 1168-1169.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Common Redmouth Whalefish, Rondeletia loricata, Rondeletiidae, flabby body, red-orange, Redmouth Whalefish, large head, small eyes, orange-brown, 10 cm - 30 cm, bathypelagic, mesopelagic, tropical water, temperate water,