Animals without backbones - Stage 1 Teacher Notes
Animals without backbones is a program for Stage 1 students. The activities are designed for a self-guided visit to the Birds and Insects exhibition.
Before Your Visit
- Excursion essentials - booking, free teacher's pass, lunch and practical tips.
This activity addresses aims and objectives of the NSW K-6 Science and Technology Syllabus, particularly Stage 1 of the Living Things content strand:
- Identifies ways in which living things are different and have different needs.
To make the most of your visit to the exhibition we recommend that you prepare your students beforehand by:
- introducing concepts related to invertebrate classification
- introducing or revising relevant terminology used in the Animals without backbones student activity sheets
- providing a context for the excursion to the Museum including the reasons for visiting the Museum, the tasks to be completed and the expected outcomes.
Please photocopy the following materials for each student or student group:
- Animals without backbones Stage 1 Student Activity Sheet for each student or one for each group.
The following materials should be photocopied for each supervising adult:
- Australian Museum Guide Map
- Your excursion timetable including your booked session time(s)
- Animals without backbones Stage 1 Student Activity Sheet
At the Australian Museum
- Use the Museum Guide Map to guide the students to the Birds and Insects exhibition on Level 2 of the Museum.
- Advise the students that they will investigate different areas of this exhibition.
- We suggest that you divide the students into groups to rotate through the various activities in order to avoid overcrowding of the displays.
Ms Helen Wheeler , Education Project Officer