Animal Species:Violet Roughy, Optivus agastos Gomon, 2004
The Violet Roughy is a moderately elongate, compressed fish. It is brown to grey, with a red-brown stripe on the upper and lower lobes of the caudal fin. The species occurs in coastal waters from southern Queensland to the central coast of Victoria.
The Violet Roughy is a moderately elongate, compressed fish with a series of strong scutes along the belly. It is brown to grey with hyaline fins. There is a red-brown stripe on the upper and lower lobes of the caudal fin.
For many years this species was known as Optivus elongatus. OzFishNet member, Dr Martin Gomon from Museum Victoria recently described two new species of Optivus in his 2004 paper - Optivus agastos, which is known from the southern Queensland to the central coast of Victoria, and Optivus agrammus, which occurs from western South Australia to south-western Western Australia. Optivus elongatus is known only from New Zealand waters.
The species grows to 12 cm in length.
The species occurs from southern Queensland to the central coast of Victoria.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The Violet Roughy occurs in coastal waters.
- Gomon, M.F. in Gomon, M.F., Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Gomon, M.F. 2004. Two new species of roughy (Trachichthyidae: Optivus) from coastal waters of southern Australia. Records of the Australian Museum. 56(2): 173-78.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433. Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology