Animal Species:Stout Moray, Gymnothorax eurostus (Abbot, 1860)
The Stout Moray is a shallow-water, inshore reef species, found in the Indo-Pacific including the east, west and northern coasts of Australia.
Abbott's Moray, Indo-Pacific Stout Moray, Spotted Moray, White-speckled Moray
The Stout Moray is brown with yellow and black spots. Its colour is darker and there are more spots posteriorly. The tail is edged in white.
The species grows to around 50 cm in length.
It is known from numerous marine locations in the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it occurs from the central coast of Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country and south to the northern coast of New South Wales.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Bohlke, E.B. & J.E. McCosker. 2001. The moray eels of Australia and New Zealand, with the description of two new species (Anguilliformes: Muraenidae). Records of the Australian Museum. 53(1): 71-102.
- Coleman, N. 1981. Australian Sea Fishes North of 30oS. Doubleday. Pp. 297.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyologu, Abbott's Moray, Gymnothorax eurostus, Muraenidae, Stout Moray, eel, shallow water, inshore reef, Indo-Pacific Stout Moray, Spotted Moray, White-speckled Moray, brown, yellow, black spots, dots/spots, 30 cm - 1 m, marine,