Animal Species:Splendid Perch, Callanthias australis (Ogilby, 1899)
The Splendid Perch is bright red or orange with red or yellow fins. Juveniles are pink. The species occurs in temperate marine waters of Australia and New Zealand.
Standard Common Name
Glorious Groppo, Splendid Sea Perch.
The Splendid Perch has a moderately elongate, compressed body. It has a small oblique mouth. The dorsal fin increases in height posteriorly The anal fin is long-based.
The species is bright red or orange with red or yellow fins. Juveniles are pink.
It was described in 1899 by Australian Museum fish Curator James Ogilby.
It grows to 30 cm in length.
The Splendid Perch occurs in temperate marine waters of Australia and New Zealand. In Australia it is known from the central coast of New South Wales, around the south of the country to southern Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species is found at depths from 20 m to 200 m. Juveniles sometimes occur at depths of 10 m to 20 m in inshore waters.
Other behaviours and adaptations
The Splendid Perch is a schooling species.
- Anderson, W.D. in Carpenter, K.E. & Niem, V.H. (eds) The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific. FAO Species Identification Guide for Fisheries Purposes. Rome : FAO Vol. 4 pp. 2069-2790.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. in Gomon, M.F., Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Splendid Perch, Callanthias australis, Callanthiidae, Glorious Groppo, Splendid Sea Perch, bright colour, red, orange, yellow fins, temperate water, marine, elongate, compressed, oblique mouth, 10 cm - 30cm, juveniles found inshore, schooling species,