Animal Species:Silver Perch, Bidyanus bidyanus (Mitchell, 1838)
The Silver Perch is a has a small head and small scales. The species is endemic to Australia.
Standard Common Name
Bidyan, Bidyan Grunter, Black Bream, Grunter, Murray Bream, Murray Perch, Silver Bream, Sooty Grunter, Tcheri
The Silver Perch is a moderately elongate fish with a small head and small scales. Colouration varies with water conditions. Adults are often silver-grey with darker scale margins but they can be greenish, brown or golden. The belly is white and the median fins are grey. The pelvic fins are usually white.
The species grows to 40 cm in length and 8 kg in weight, however 30 cm and 1.5 kg individuals are more commonly seen.
The Silver Perch is endemic to Australia. It occurs naturally in freshwaters throughout much of the Murray-Darling Drainage of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. It has been introduced into the Lake Eyre Basin and coastal river systems of south-eastern Queensland, New South Wales and south-western Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It prefers fast-flowing waters but is also known from rivers, lakes and reservoirs.
- Allen, G.R. 1989. Freshwater Fishes of Australia. T.F.H. Publications. Pp. 240.
- Allen, G.R., Midgley, S.H. & M. Allen. 2002. Field Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Australia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 394.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Merrick, J.R. in McDowall, R.M. 1996. Freshwater Fishes of South-Eastern Australia. Reed Books. Pp. 247.
- Merrick, J.R. & G.E. Schmida. 1984. Australian Freshwater Fishes. Biology and Management. John R. Merrick. Pp. 409.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Silver Perch, Bidyanus bidyanus, elongate, small head, Colouration varies with water conditions, silver-grey, pale underside, 30 cm - 1 m, endemic to Australia, freshwater, fast-flowing waters, river, lake, reservoir, Terapontidae,