Animal Species:Sidespot Goatfish, Parupeneus pleurostigma (Bennett, 1831)
The Sidespot Goatfish has a pale white-pink body. It has a large black spot on the side followed by a white spot. The species inhabit seagrass beds, shallow lagoons and seaward reefs.
Round-spot Goatfish, Whitespot Goatfish
The Sidespot Goatfish has a pale white-pink body. It has a large black spot on the side followed by a white spot. The base of the second dorsal fin is dark.
The species grows to 35 cm in length.
The Sidespot Goatfish occurs in tropical marine waters of the Indo-Pacific, from East Africa, north to the Japan, south to Australia and east to the Tuamoto Islands. In Australia the Sidespot Goatfish is known from the north-western coast of Western Australia, and from the northern Great Barrier Reef, Queensland to southern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
Sidespot Goatfish inhabit seagrass beds, shallow lagoons and seaward reefs. They are commonly seen over sand, rubble, coral or rocky bottoms. The species can be found at depths of 1 m to 70 m.
Feeding and Diet
The species feeds on a range of benthic animals including fishes, crabs, mantis shrimps, polychaete worms, heart urchins, brittle stars, and molluscs.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 220.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 362.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 222.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 415.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Sidespot Goatfish, Parupeneus pleurostigma, Mullidae, Round-spot Goatfish, Whitespot Goatfish, large black spot and white spot, Indo-Pacific, Great Barrier Reef, 30 cm - 1 m,