Animal Species:Short Boarfish, Parazanclistius hutchinsi Hardy, 1983
The Short Boarfish has a pointed snout and a concave head profile. The species is endemic to Australia.
Standard Common Name
The Short Boarfish has a pointed snout and a concave head profile. It has a very high dorsal fin and a rounded anal fin margin. The body is silver to olive-brown with irregular dark bands. There is a distinct ocellus at the rear of the dorsal fin.
This species is also been called Hutchin's Boarfish. It was named in honour of Dr Barry Hutchins of the Western Australian Museum.
The species grows to 34 cm in length.
The Short Boarfish could be confused with the Black-spotted Boarfish Zanclistius elevatus, which also occurs in southern Australian waters. The two species can be separated by presence in the Black-spotted Boarfish of a prominent bump on the head above the eyes, the straight anal fin margin, and slightly different body markings.
The Short Boarfish is endemic to Australia. It occurs in temperate coastal waters from eastern Victoria to south-western Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life: the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544.
- Hardy, G.S. in Gomon, M.F., Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Hutchins, B. & M. Thompson. 1983. The Marine and Estuarine Fishes of South-western Australia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 103.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology