Animal Species:Rainbow Monocle Bream, Scolopsis monogramma (Cuvier, 1830)
The Rainbow Monocle Bream can be recognised by its colouration. It occurs in tropical marine waters in inshore and coral reef waters of the Eastern Indian and Western Pacific Oceans.
Standard Common Name
Rainbow Monocle Bream
Barred-face Spine-cheek, Lattice Spinecheek, Monocle Bream, Monogrammed Monocle Bream, Rainbow Bream, Regal Coral Bream, Threadfin Monocle-bream
The Rainbow Monocle Bream can be recognised by its colouration. It has three blue lines across the snout, which are often separated by orange regions. The side of the body has a series of sloping yellow dots that can form a solid stripe. The tail has a blue posterior margin and elongated tips.
The species grows to 30 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters in inshore and coral reef waters of the Eastern Indian and Western Pacific Oceans. In Australia it is known from the central coast of Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country, and south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Russell, B.C. (1990). FAO Species Catalogue. Nemipterid fishes of the World (Threadfin breams, Whiptail breams, Monocle breams, Dwarf monocle breams, and Coral breams - Family Nemipteridae). Rome : FAO Fisheries Synopsis No. 125 Vol. 12. Pp. 149 . pls VIII.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Rainbow Monocle Bream, Scolopsis monogramma, Nemipteridae, tropical water, marine, inshore reef, coral reef, Barred-face Spine-cheek, Lattice Spinecheek, Monocle Bream, Monogrammed Monocle Bream, Rainbow Bream, Regal Coral Bream, Threadfin Monocle-bream, orange, blue, yellow dots, dost/spots, stripes or bands, 10 cm - 30 cm,