Animal Species:Purple Queen, Pseudanthias tuka (Herre & Montalban, 1927)
The colouration of the Purple Queen differs between the sexes. In Australia, the Purple Queen is known from the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland.
Purple Queenfish, Purple Anthias
The colouration of the Purple Queen differs between the sexes. Both males and females are deep pink to purple, however females have a bright yellow stripe on the back that extends onto the caudal fin. Males have a purple blotch on the base of the soft dorsal fin and elongated soft dorsal fin rays.
The species grows to 12 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of South-east Asia, from the Philippines to Australia and east to Fiji and the Society Islands. In Australia, the Purple Queen is known from the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The Purple Queen is usually seen in large aggregations along the upper edge of drop-offs and steep outer reef slopes. This fish is usually seen at depths of 7 m to 25 m.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Purple Queen, Pseudanthias tuka, Serranidae, females and males have different colouration, Purple Queenfish, Purple Anthias, Great Barrier Reef, deep pink, purple, stripes or bands, bright yellow stripe, purple blotch, blotches/mottled, 10 cm - 30 cm, tropical water, marine, steep outer reef,