Animal Species:Pinklined Wrasse, Coris dorsomacula (Fowler, 1908)
Adult Pinklined Wrasse have narrow pale bars crossing the sides of the body. The species occurs in tropical and temperate marine waters of the Western Pacific.
Pale-barred Coris, Pink-lined Coris, Pink-lined Rainbow Wrasse, Spotfin Wrasse
Adult Pinklined Wrasse have narrow pale bars crossing the sides of the body. There are two pinkish stripes along the belly that break into blotches above the anal fin. On the caudal fin there is a boomerang-shaped red band. The cheek is crossed by two pink stripes and there is usually a spot on the operculum that often has a yellow border posteriorly.
Juveniles have a simpler pattern that becomes more complex with growth. They have narrow pale bars on the side of the body and often a brownish stripe along the head and body. They usually have a yellow-bordered spot on the operculum.
The species grows to 22 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical and temperate marine waters of the Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from the northern Great Barrier Reef, Queensland to the southern coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2002. Fairy and Rainbow Wrasses and their Relatives. A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Labroids. TMC Publishing. Pp. 208.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology