Animal Species:Painted Anglerfish, Antennarius pictus (Shaw & Nodder, 1794)
The Painted Anglerfish's colouration can vary from red, orange and yellow to green, brown or black. It occurs in marine waters throughout much of the tropical and temperate Indo-Pacific.
The Painted Anglerfish's colouration can vary from red, orange and yellow to green, brown or black. It sometimes has saddle-like markings dorsally. The pectoral fins often have white tips, and the tail commonly has three spots.
The species grows to 16 cm in length.
The Painted Anglerfish occurs in marine waters throughout much of the tropical and temperate Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is known from the central coast of Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country and south to the New South Wales central coast.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species lives in estuaries and bays, often associated with sponges.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Pietsch, T.W. & D.B. Grobecker. 1987. Frogfishes of the World. Systematics, Zoogeography, and Behavioural Ecology. Stanford University Press. Pp. 420.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Painted Anglerfish, Antennarius pictus, Antennariidae, Black Angler, red, orange, yellow, green, brown, black, saddle-like markings, stripes or bands, three spots, 10 cm - 30 cm, marine, tropical water, temperate water, estuaries, bays, sponges,