Animal Species:Orange Basslet, Pseudanthias squamipinnis (Peters, 1855)
Colouring in the Orange Basslet differs between males and females. In Australia the species is known from the northern Great Barrier Reef, south to the central coast of New South Wales.
Standard Common Name
Orange Fairy Basslet, Orange Seaperch, Scalefin Anthias
Colouring in the Orange Basslet differs according to sex of an individual. Females are orange to yellow with pale purple scale margins, while males are purplish with a yellow spot on the body scales and a large purplish blotch on the pectoral fin. Both sexes have an orange stripe across the cheek. The male also has a greatly elongated third dorsal fin spine and a lunate caudal fin with longer lobes than the female.The Orange Basslet is characterised by sexual dimorphism. One of the common names, Scalefin Anthias, refers to the heavily scaled fins.
The species grows to 15 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from the northern Great Barrier Reef, south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Orange Basslet, Pseudanthias squamipinnis, Serranidae, Great Barrier Reef, Orange Fairy Basslet, Orange Seaperch, Scalefin Anthias, females and males have different colour, orange, yellow, pale purple scales, stripes or bands, orange stripe, 10 cm - 30 cm, tropical water,