Animal Species:Oblique-banded Sweetlips, Plectorhinchus lineatus (Linnaeus, 1758)
The Oblique-banded Sweetlips is a colourful fish. It is silvery white with oblique black bands on the body. The species occurs in the eastern Indian Ocean and Western Pacific
Standard Common Name
Diagonal-banded Sweetlips, Goldman's Sweetlips, Lined Blubber-lips, Lined Sweetlips, Many-lined Sweetlips
The Oblique-banded Sweetlips can be recognised by its colouration. It is silvery white with oblique black bands on the body. The median fins are yellow with black spots and the lips are yellow.
The species grows to 50 cm in length.
This species occurs in the eastern Indian Ocean and Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from the offshore islands of north-western Western Australia and the northern Great Barrier Reef to southern Queensland.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It occurs in coral reef and inshore tropical areas
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of Northwestern Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Oblique-banded Sweetlips, Plectorhinchus lineatus, Haemulidae, colourful, silver, stripes or bands, black bands, Diagonal-banded Sweetlips, Goldman's Sweetlips, Lined Blubber-lips, Lined Sweetlips, Many-lined Sweetlips, 30 cm - 1 m, Great Barrier Reef, tropical water, marine, coral reef, inshore water,