Image Gallery: Museum Curators and Directors
Since 1829, sixteen men have been curator or director of the Australian Museum overseeing its evolution from a one-man operation to an internationally recognized scientific institution.
The title 'Curator' was used until 1917, when the position was retitled as 'Director and Curator', then 'Director' only from 1918. The scientific staff, appointed from the later 1870s, were 'scientific assistants', known by their discipline eg Ornithologist, Conchologist, Zoologist. In 1948, they became known as 'Curators', a term used until 1984 when the positions of 'Collection Manager' were created and scientific staff used titles appropriate to their classification eg 'Research Scientist' (Ichthyologist).