Animal Species:Mountain Galaxias, Galaxias olidus Günther, 1866
The Mountain Galaxias is a small freshwater species that is endemic to Australia. Its colouration is highly variable. Taxonomic work is revealing that several species are probably 'masquerading' under the species name olidus.
The Mountain Galaxias has a small head, large mouth and short-based fleshy fins. The colouration of this species is highly variable. It can be yellowish green to brown above, olive to silvery below, and have speckles, blotches and banding.
The Mountain Galaxias grows to 13.5 cm in length but is more commonly seen up to about 7cm.
The Mountain Galaxias endemic to Australia. It occurs on both sides of the Great Dividing Range from southern Queensland to eastern South Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The Mountain Galaxias lives in freshwater streams from the coast to 1800 m elevation.
Feeding and Diet
The species eats a range of food items including insects (aquatic and terrestrial) crustaceans, molluscs, worms and spiders.
- Allen, G.R. 1989. Freshwater Fishes of Australia. T.F.H. Publications. Pp. 240.
- Allen, G.R., Midgley, S.H. & M. Allen. 2002. Field Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Australia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 394.
- McDowall, R.M & W. Fulton in McDowall, R.M. 1996. Freshwater Fishes of South-Eastern Australia. Reed Books. Pp. 247.
- McDowall, R.M & R.S. Frankenburg. 1981. The Galaxiid Fishes of Australia. Records of the Australian Museum. 33(10): 443-605.
- Merrick, J.R. & G.E. Schmida. 1984. Australian Freshwater Fishes. Biology and Management. John R. Merrick. Pp. 409.
- Raadik, T. 2001. When is a Mountain Galaxias not a Mountain Galaxias? Fishes of Sahul. 15(4) (November-December).
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Galaxiidae, Mountain Galaxias, Galaxias olidus, freshwater, endemic to Australia, small head, large mouth, short fins, variable colour, yellowish green, brown, blotches/mottled, stripes or bands, 10 cm - 30 cm, streams,