Minerals in chemicals, foods and medicines
Many minerals are refined for pure chemicals for use in the chemical, manufacturing, food and medical industries.
Examples of the ways minerals are used include:
- sulfur - medicine, sulfuric acid, match heads
- magnesium - metal alloys, medicines
- phosphorous - super phosphate for agriculture
- barium - medicine
- fluorine - toothpaste, smelting ores
- sodium chloride - food additive
- short-lived radioactive isotopes of barium and cesium - used in the treatment of various cancers.