Animal Species:Leaf Scorpionfish, Taenianotus triacanthus Lacépède, 1802
The colouration of the Leaf Scorpionfish is variable, ranging from white, through pinks and reds to green. The species periodically sheds its skin.
Standard Common Name
Paperfish, Three-spined Scorpionfish
The Leaf Scorpionfish has a very compressed body and a sail-like dorsal fin. It has a variably developed 'beard' of fine appendages around the mouth. The colouration of the Leaf Scorpionfish is variable, ranging from white, through pinks and reds to green.
The species grows to 10 cm in length.
The Leaf Scorpionfish has a widespread distribution throughout the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is known from off north-western Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country, and south to northern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
Other behaviours and adaptations
The species periodically sheds its skin.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Leaf Scorpionfish, Taenianotus triacanthus, Scorpaenidae, Paperfish, Three-spined Scorpionfish, white, pink, red, green, sheds skin, compressed body, < 10 cm, tropical water, marine, yellow, brown,