Animal Species:Halfbanded Seaperch, Hypoplectrodes maccullochi (Whitley, 1929)
The Halfbanded Seaperch can be recognised by its banded pattern, large eyes close to the dorsal profile of the head and large oblique mouth. The species lives in coastal and estuarine rocky reefs.
Standard Common Name
McCulloch's Sea Perch
The Halfbanded Seaperch can be recognised by its banded pattern, large eyes close to the dorsal profile of the head and large oblique mouth. Its colour varies from pale pink to red-brown. It has a bright white blotch on the operculum and up to seven dark bands on the side of the body. These bands are more prominent dorsally and disappear further down the sides.
The species grows to 20 cm in length.
The Halfbanded Seaperch occurs on Australia's east coast, from northern New South Wales to eastern Tasmania.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species lives in coastal and estuarine rocky reefs at depths from 5 m to 50 m. It is common in the Sydney region where it is often seen perched on ledges and sponges.
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life; the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544
- Kuiter, R.H. in Gomon, M.F., Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Paxton, J.R., D.F. Hoese, G.R. Allen & J.E. Hanley. 1989. Zoological Catalogue of Australia Vol.7 Pisces Petromyzontidae to Carangidae. Canberra: Australian Biological Resources Survey. Pp. i-xii, 1-665.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Halfbanded Seaperch, Hypoplectrodes maccullochi, Serranidae, McCulloch's Sea Perch, stripes or bands, large eyes, rocky reef, pink, red, red-brown, blotches/mottled, 10 cm - 30 cm, coastal rocky reef, estuarine rocky reef,