Animal Species:Gunther's Butterflyfish, Chaetodon guentheri Ahl, 1923
Gunther's Butterflyfish is mostly white to pale yellow with small dark spots that form irregular lines. In Australia it is recorded from southern Queensland to southern New South Wales.
Gunther's Butterflyfish is mostly white to pale yellow with small dark spots that form irregular lines. The rear part of the body, soft dorsal fin and anal fin are yellow. A black bar passes through the eye.
The species grows to 14 cm in length.
Gunther's Butterflyfish is found in tropical and temperate marine waters throughout the Western Pacific. In Australia it is recorded from southern Queensland to southern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It is found on rocky and coral reefs. Juveniles are usually seen at depths between 10 m and 30 m, whereas adults are found at depths from 20 m to at least 50 m.
- Allen, G.R., Steene, R. & M. Allen. 1998. A Guide to Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes. Odyssey Publishing/Tropical Reef Research. Pp. 250.
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life: the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Gunther's Butterflyfish, Chaetodon guentheri, Chaetodontidae, yellow, gold, white, grey, black, silver, normal fish, round, 10 cm - 30 cm, dots/spots, black stripe, marine, adult, big eyes,