Dinosaurs - Stages 1-3 Teacher Notes
Information for primary school teachers preparing their students for a self-guided exploration of the Dinosaurs exhibition at Australian Museum. Includes Stages 1-3 syllabus links.
Before your visit
- Excursion essentials - booking, free teacher's pass, lunch and practical tips.
To make the most of your visit to the exhibition we strongly recommend that you spend time in class preparing your students by:
- establishing what they know about dinosaurs
- providing an outline of the exhibition
- developing questions they may like to explore
- encouraging your students to gather news items about dinosaurs.
At the Australian Museum
The self-guided activity for primary students guides students through the exhibition and will enhance their experience.
The key theme addressed in this exhibition is how dinosaurs lived and died and how we know. Fossils, comparisons with modern animals and new technology are used to understand dinosaur behaviour.
The Dinosaurs exhibition is divided into four main thematic areas:
- Dinosaur World
- Dinosaur Life
- Discovering Dinosaurs
- Surviving Dinosaurs.
See the Dinosaurs Exhibition Guide to:
- find background information on dinosaurs
- find an overview of the exhibition
- assist you to interpret the exhibition for your students
- suggest some questions you may like to explore.
Don't forget to bring a camera.
Links to the New South Wales Board of Studies Science and Technology K-6 syllabus:
- Early Stage 1: Living Things, Investigating
- Stage 1: Living Things, Earth and Its Surroundings, Investigating
- Stage 2: Living Things, Earth and Its Surroundings, Investigating
- Stage 3: Living Things, Earth and Its Surroundings, Investigating
Ms Helen Wheeler , Education Project Officer