Animal Species:Blackfin Pigfish, Bodianus loxozonus (Snyder, 1908)
The Blackfin Pigfish lives on the outer reef and is usually found swimming well above the surface bottom on deep reef crests. The species shows a curiosity towards divers.
Blackfin Hogfish, Eclipse Hogfish, Reef Pigfish
The species is yellow-orange dorsally, with narrow white stripes. It has a broad diagonal black band across the rear of the body and black pelvic fins. There is a black spot at the front of the dorsal fin. The caudal fin is white with yellow to black margins.
The species grows to 40 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western and Central Pacific, from Indonesia, throughout South-east Asia and Micronesia, north to Japan, south to Australia and east to French Polynesia. In Australia it is known from the northern Great Barrier Reef, Queensland.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It inhabit seaward reefs and lagoons at depths from 3 m to 100 m.
Feeding and Diet
Primary food items are molluscs and crustaceans.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 220.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 251.
- Westneat, M.W., 2001 Labridae. Wrasses, hogfishes, razorfishes, corises, tuskfishes. in Carpenter, K.E. & V.H. Niem (Eds). FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes. The Living Marine Resources of the Western Central Pacific. Volume 6. Bony Fishes part 4 (Labridae to Latimeriidae), estuarine crocodiles, sea turtles, sea snakes and marine mammals. FAO, Rome. Pp. iii-v, 3381-4218.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fish, ichthyology, Blackfin Hogfish, Bodianus loxozonus, labridae, Blackfin Pigfish, black, yellow, white, 'normal fish', odd-shaped, 30 cm - 1 m, dots or spots, kelp/algae/seagrass, rocky reef, marine, adult,