Animal Species:Birdwire Rockcod, Epinephelus merra Bloch, 1793
The Birdwire Rockcod is pale with round to hexagonal brown spots on the head, body and fins. It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Indo-Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Black-spotted Rock-cod, Dwarf Spotted Rockcod, Dwarf Spotter Grouper, Honeycomb Cod, Honeycomb Grouper, Wire-netting Cod, Wire-netting Rock-cod
The Birdwire Rockcod is pale with round to hexagonal brown spots on the head, body and fins. Some of the spots on the side of the body are joined to form short irregular bands.
The species grows to 28 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is known from the western coast of Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country and south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Birdwire Rockcod, Epinephelus merra, Serranidae, brown, white, black, normal fish, 10 cm to 30 cm, dots, spots, coral reef, marine, adult, Black-spotted Rock-cod, Dwarf Spotted Rockcod, Dwarf Spotter Grouper, Honeycomb Cod, Honeycomb Grouper, Wire-netting Cod, Wire-netting Rock-cod, tropical water,