About the Eureka Prizes
A unique partnership between government organisations, institutions, companies and individuals committed to Australian science.
Presented annually by the Australian Museum, the prizes reward excellence in the fields of:
- research & innovation
- school science
- science communication & journalism
Entries are open until 7pm AEST Friday 2 May 2014.
7 February: Entries open
2 May: Entries close 7pm AEST
8 August: Finalists announced online
10 September: Winners announced at the Award Dinner
- Established in 1990 to reward outstanding achievements in Australian science and science communication.
- Australia's most comprehensive national science awards.
- A unique co-operative partnership between government, education and research institutions, private sector companies, organisations and individuals. See our Sponsors.
- Each prize is judged by a panel of eminent and qualified individuals, whose contribution of expertise and time helps support the credibility of the Eureka Prizes.
- The Australian Museum Eureka Prizes culminates in a gala Award Dinner, which celebrates and rewards Australian science.
- The 2013 dinner was attended by 700 guests, with comperes Bernie Hobbs and Graham Phillips.
- In 2014, 15 prizes will be awarded in four categories - Research & Innovation, Leadership, Science Communication & Journalism and School Science.
Our judges are expert representatives from a variety of disciplines and work in universities, schools, media, research institutes, industry, science centres and government departments.
The Australian Museum Eureka Prizes and sponsors are deeply grateful to these individuals who freely gave their time and expertise to assist in prize judging:
- Ian Allen, Executive Producer, Content, ABC Innovation
- Professor Brian D O Anderson AO, Distinguished Professor, Research School of Engineering, College of Engineering and Computer Science, Australian National University
- Anna-Maria Arabia, General Manager for Strategy & Partnerships, Questacon
- Professor Mike Archer AM, Palaeosciences- Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales
- Professor Clive Baldock, Executive Dean, Faculty of Science, Macquarie University
- Professor Snow Barlow FTSE, FAIAST, Professor of Horticulture and Viticulture, Convener, NCCARF Primary Industries Adaptation Research Network, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, University of Melbourne
- Dr Amanda Barnard, OCE Science Leader & Leader of the Virtual Nanoscience Laboratory, CSIRO Materials Science & Engineering
- Professor Christine Bennett, Dean, School of Medicine Sydney, University of Notre Dame
- Cherrie Bottger, Network Head of Children's Programming and Documentaries, Network Ten
- Leslie Butterfield, Chief Executive Officer, McLachlan Lister Pty Limited
- Professor Jeremy Chapman, Director of Medicine and Cancer, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital
- Dr Ian Chessell, Chair, Goyder Institute for Water Research; Non-Executive Director, Qinetiq Pty Ltd; Director, Astronomy Australia Pty Ltd
- Professor Jann Conroy, Associate Director of Research, Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment, University of Western Sydney
- Professor Brian M. Cooke, Professor of Microbiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University
- Dr David Cunningham, Assistant Secretary, ABARES, Lands and Forests, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Professor Graham Davies, Dean, Faculty of Engineering, University of New South Wales
- Anna Davis, Head of Science, Casimir Catholic College
- Professor Dennis Del Favero, Director, iCinema Centre, Deputy-Director NIEA, University of New South Wales
- Professor John Dodson, Head, Institute for Environmental Research, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- Dr Cathy Foley, Chief, CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering
- Professor Bryan Gaensler, Australian Laureate Fellow, Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics (CAASTRO), Sydney Institute for Astronomy, University of Sydney
- Emeritus Professor Helen Garnett, Director, Energy Resources Australia & Chair, Delta Electricity
- Alexandra Gartmann, CEO, Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal (FRRR)
- Emeritus Professor Alistair Gilmour, Graduate School of the Environment, Macquarie University
- Kon Gouriotis, Director, Australian Centre for Photography
- Dr Peter G. Gray, Technical Manager, 3M Australia
- Professor Kliti Grice, ARC DORA, Founding Director, WA-Organic and Isotope Geochemistry Centre, Curtin University
- Scott Grimley, Oceania Mining & Metals Leader, Oceania Tax Markets Leader, Ernst and Young
- Leigh Henningham, Picture Editor, The Age
- Dr Matthew Hole, Postdoctoral Fellow, College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Australian National University
- Professor Caroline Homer, Director, Centre for Midwifery, Child and Family Health, University of Technology, Sydney
- Frank Howarth PSM, Director, Australian Museum
- Professor Jon Iredell, Professor Medicine and Microbiology (conj.), Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney; Director of Infectious Diseases, Sydney West and Westmead Hospital; Director, Centre for Research Excellence in Critical Infection (NHMRC), University of Sydney
- Andrew Jenkin, General Manager, Innovation, Rio Tinto Ltd
- Professor Kate Jolliffe, Professor of Chemistry and Head of School, School of Chemistry, University of Sydney
- Professor Maria Kavallaris, Head, Tumour Biology & Targeting Program; NHMRC Senior Research Fellow, Children's Cancer Institute Australia for Medical Research, Lowy Cancer Research Centre; Co-Director, Australian Centre for NanoMedicine (ACN), School of Chemical Engineering, University of New South Wales
- Professor Levon Khachigian, NHMRC Australia Fellow, Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales
- Dr Brian Lassig, Assistant Director, Science and Learning, Australian Museum
- Dr Rob Lesslie, Principal Scientist, Land Use and Management, ABARES, Land and Forests Branch, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Dr Nigel Lyons, Chief Executive, NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation
- Richard MacEwan, Senior Research Scientist - Soils, Farming Systems Research, Victorian Department of Environment and Primary Industries
- Professor Brendan Mackey, Director, Griffith Climate Change Response Programme, Griffith University
- Professor Johnson Mak FASM, ARC Future Fellow, Chair in Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Deakin University; Head, HIV and Emerging Viruses Laboratory, CSIRO AAHL
- Lynne Malcolm, Executive Producer, Science Unit and Presenter, ABC Radio National
- Professor John Mattick FAA FRCPA, Executive Director, Garvan Institute
- Professor Ruth Mawson, Honorary Associate, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Macquarie University
- Professor Tanya Monro, Director, Institute for Photonics & Advanced Sensing, University of Adelaide
- Dr Rob Morrison OAM, Professorial Fellow, Flinders University
- Dr Tara Murphy, Senior Lecturer, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, School of Information Technologies, University of Sydney
- Professor Graham M Nicholson, Professor of Neurotoxicology, Associate Dean (International & External Engagement), Faculty of Science, University of Technology, Sydney
- Anne O'Neill, Associate Director, Office for Medical Research, NSW Ministry of Health
- Professor Jim Patrick FTSE, Chief Scientist, Cochlear Ltd
- Dr Jim Peacock AC, CSIRO Fellow and Strategic Advisor Science/OCE Scheme, CSIRO; Distinguished Professor, University of Technology, Sydney
- Professor Andrew Peele, Interim Director, Australian Synchrotron
- Daniel Petre AO, Executive Chairman, Netus Pty Ltd
- Professor Judy Raper, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research), University of Wollongong
- Craig Roy, Deputy Chief Executive, Science, Strategy & People, CSIRO
- Professor Mark Schembri, ARC Future Fellow, Australian Infectious Diseases Research Centre, School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, University of Queensland
- Professor Brian Schmidt, Nobel Laureate, Astronomer, The Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Australian National University
- Dr Paul Scully-Power AM, Executive Chairman, Prime Solutions Pacific
- Professor Susan Serjeantson
- Professor Stephen Simpson, ARC Laureate Fellow, School of Biological Sciences, University of Sydney
- Michael Slezak, Journalist, New Scientist
- Professor Mark von Itzstein, Director, Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University
- Professor Robyn Ward, Clinical Associate Dean, Prince of Wales Clinical School, University of New South Wales
- Dr Robyn Williams AM, Presenter, The Science Show, ABC Radio National
- Dr Kate Wilson, Executive Director, Science, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
- Dr Alex Zelinsky, Chief Defence Scientist, Defence Science and Technology Organisation
- Dr Ionat Zurr, SymbioticA's Researcher & Academic Coordinator, SymbioticA - The Centre of Excellence in Biological Arts School of Anatomy, Physiology and Human Biology, University of Western Australia
Please call us on (02) 9320 6483 or send us an email.
Kea Lambert , Project Officer, Eureka Prizes